Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pregnant Running

MIA!!! I'm so sorry I have been absent lately. We were moving and now we're visiting family for a month. Whew, so busy. But, without further adieu, I'm back and in full swing! Let's get to it.

If you're planning on or already pregnant and wondering if you should keep up with your running routine, I'm here to give you the answer to that!!!

I've always been a bit leery of running while pregnant. I have not continued to run with either of my past pregnancy, but being that I love running and was sad when I was not running during my pregnancies I wanted to look into the safety of running while pregnant.

I have GREAT news!!! If you're already running (doesn't need to be super long distances), and your doctor approves, running is totally okay during pregnancy! Hooray!

Some of the pointers I read from other pregnant runners are listed below:


  • Belly Bands are helpful during the 2nd trimester
  • Continuing with the mileage you're at is generally a good rule of thumb, but don't worry about your speed or PR's, just enjoy the jog!
  • Heart rate monitors are a must!! You don't want to over exert yourself while pregnant
  • Remember to eat for the activities you're doing- recovery calories and WATER are important while pregnant
  • You're pregnant, you're making a human being, DO NOT over exert, over train or push yourself hard. Slow and steady is the perfect speed while pregnant.
  • Remember you're not running to loose weight, speed train or win the race- you're running for a healthy and happy pregnancy.
  • Support your milk makers!!!!!! A good sports bra is important during pregnancy as well as after INVEST!
PROS:

From most everyone I've interviewed and read from, even when you're feeling unwell during the first few months, most of them mentioned getting out and running as much as they possibly could and how much better they would feel afterwords.

Increased energy, being active when you're pregnant is vital!! The more you couch potato the longer it will take you get in shape after your pregnancy.

BEST PRO OF ALL- Staying active and exercising during pregnancy can lessen back pain and reduce delivery complications and times spent in labor!!! Now that's something any Mommy can look forward to!

I hope this post was helpful and that it motivates you to get out and stay active during pregnancy- even if it's not running keep on moving. There are so many benefits for Mommy and baby when you have an active and healthy pregnancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment