Friday, April 27, 2012

Baby and Me Workout Phase 1

Let me paint the picture: Kids are down for a nap or still asleep in the morning and you turn on your workout video and rush through your workout so that you can finish before they wake up in the morning. Or you baby wakes up mid-workout and you then have to stop to entertain them. OR even more likely you day gets filled up before you know it with preschool, playgroups, feeding kids, cleaning up the toys for the 6 millionth time, work or any of the other activities that fill up Mommy's day. 10:00PM you crawl in bed and realize "I haven't worked out at all today". Well I'm here to help!!! This is Phase 1 of my series called... wait for it, it's a clever name... Working Out With Kids.

This workout is designed for moms (or dads) with newborn to preschool aged kids. I made this video showing you what some of the workouts look like. They are not in order on the video, except by age of baby/child. Watch the video and then print the descriptions and give it a try!! 

Disclaimer: I am not a certified fitness trainer. I am not liable for any injuries incurred while doing these workouts. Always consult your doctor before starting a new workout regiment. 
New Born Workout:
(This can be done after your doc has cleared you to workout again after labor)
Age- newborn to 2 

  • Baby step-ups (if you have stairs or a step box) 
  • High Knees
  • Baby lunges (on video) This might be one that your body may not be ready to do right away!!
  • Baby Squats (on video) again one you might want to wait till your body is read (8-10 weeks post-partum)
  • Wall sit (on video)
  • Baby kiss ups (on video) 
  • Bicycles (on video) 
  • Baby Plank 20 seconds 
  • DANCE IT UP!! Put on some music -lay baby on the floor and jam out! It's a great workout! 
Baby who can hold their own head and/or sit up:
(These are the be added to the above workouts)
  • Baby Dead Lifts (on video)
  • Baby Squat and lift (on video)
  • Baby butt ups (on video)
  • Baby Bicep curl (on video)
  • Baby Bench Press (on video)
Toddler Workout:
(You can add these to the above workouts or take out some of the above when your toddler gets to too heavy for some) These are workouts that older toddlers can do with you and enjoy watching

  • ABC Jumping Jacks (on video) My daughter loves to do these with me!
  • Sqaut Jumps 
  • Hunting sprints (sprint in place and go on a bear hunt for fun)
  • "Hop Scotch" Squares (4 corner jumps) I forgot to put this on video.  Email me if you want to explain.
Working out with stroller:
(Great for ages 0-3)

  • Wheels on the Bus (on video) Kids LOVE THIS!!
  • Squat Hold B-I-N-G-O (on video)
  • Lunges with Stroller (on video)
  • Kick backs (on video)
  • Sprint to stroller (on video)
  • Side kicks (on video)
  • Peek-a-boo side squats (on video)
  • Side step circles (on video)

I was going to design a schedule for these workouts but it's hard to mass produce one being that every person (especially after having a baby) is at different fitness levels. I don't want to dish out a schedule and have someone get injured because they weren't ready for an exercise yet. So here's the deal- if you want a PERSONALIZE Baby and Me workout schedule I am happy to work one up for you for $5.00 fee. Contact me at momsdofit@yahoo.com . If you're in the Saginaw area and are interested in a personal or group class let me know, and I'd be more than happy to oblige. 

As always remember to send me your fitness questions!! Look for Phase 2 - Working Out With Kids (for mom's with kids ages 4 - 10) coming soon! 

1 comment:

  1. So far my little Nate really likes this workout... He mostly thinks that it is sooooo funny. I love that I am now down to my 9th grade weight.

    Thanks Jamie for the new ideas for working out. We miss you all!

    ReplyDelete